Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right-doing,
there is a field. I'll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass,
the world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase "each other" doesn't make any sense.

- Rumi


Sunday, February 28, 2010

..............

Most of my friends in college are ardent fans of the reality shows being featured on Mtv and channel V, and thats how I happened to come across some episodes of these programmes.I find it very strange and I dont know why but some strangely bizzare thoughts came to my mind on watching the shows.
It is an acepted fact that India is an emerging economy.The global economic meltdown has given way to a huge financial downfall in the Western countries.India was one among the countries which sustained the crisis due to the strength of her agricultural sector.India could maintain her economy in a steady manner while most of the so called "developed" countries got entangled in heavy financial problems and looked enviously at India.All these things clubbed with the inherent invasionary tendency of the Occidental society has forced the Western countries to destroy the growth of the Indian economy.The western multinationals are searching for a market in India to sell their soft drinks,alcohol,junk food etc.I feel that the introduction of reality shows which feature Western lifestyle and attitudes is a ground activity for the formation of a sound market to sell western commodities.In order to sell brands like the KFC,CocaCola etc and find buyers for the branded clothes sold by western sellers,there needs to be a generation of people who like and prefer such stuff.To create that kind of a generation,their attitudes should be moulded and tilted towards that of the West.This is exactly what reality shows like Roadies and Splitsvilla are doing now.
Knowingly or unknowingly,the Indian youth are being made victims of a very planned cultural invasion which can be very very fatal because of the vulnerable nature of the Indian mental fibre.(While saying this,I also am reminded of the discusion I had with my teacher regarding the "Politics of American Actor Training", about the political stratergies that Western organisations have in mind behind allotting funds to Indian theatre persons.)The Indian youth is becoming excesively apolitical and they often fail to recognise such stratergies.
When I expressed my concerns to my friends,they laughed at me.Maybe,at a later point of time, I too may laugh at myself for having such strange thoughts or else, my friends will then agree that I was right.Whatever it is,this is what I feel now and I have expressed myself honestly.

No comments: