Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right-doing,
there is a field. I'll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass,
the world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase "each other" doesn't make any sense.

- Rumi


Saturday, March 14, 2009

Is this "Co-education"?!

I was on my way to write my Board exams.I got into my school bus and sat at the back with my classmates.We were leaving for the school which was our examination centre as alloted by the Cbse board.It was english exam and as it is common for all,both the science and commerce stream students had it on the same day.We went in two buses.The bus had already reached half way when I realised that all the girls were in the bus that I sat in and the guys wre in the other bus.The first thought that came into my mind was "Wow....so this is co- education....interesting".

That incident posed certain confusions in my mind.What is wrong if boys and girls are allowed to mingle?At least go together in a bus?This is the era where as individuals we will all need to interact with the opposite sex on many occasions.The very purpose of co-education is to enable students to interact and learn how to build healthy relations with students of the opposite gender.Teenage is an age when restsrictions are needed but that dosent mean complete isolation.

If students are not allowed to mingle,they(especially girls)feel that the other sex is something to be feared of and avoided.This may create serious maladjustments later on in life.The world today provides equal oppotunities for all irrespective if the sex.Both girls and boys have equal chances to achieve what they desire and there will surely be instances where interaction between the sexes is inevitable.I think school life need to prepare students to face such situations.Children need to be taught how to be in their limits and build healthy relations and respect the opposite sex.

Co-education should mean what it means.

No comments: