Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right-doing,
there is a field. I'll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass,
the world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase "each other" doesn't make any sense.

- Rumi


Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Blasphemy

My incense sticks lay burning at your altar,
My Lord, save him, Please,
38 long years of matrimony has given me nothing but grief,
Life was a meaningless cycle from negligence to abusive sex to continuous pregnancies,
I longed for nothing more than a little bit of consideration,
But,nights became nightmares,
His bed became my prison,
And on it, I was shackled with his chains of never-ending passion,
Violated, I pushed myself through those nights in silent tears which no one saw,
Not even you My Lord,
He tied up my soul
I forgot how to write verses,
I forgot how to sing,how to decipher the language of the rains,
All I could do was clean stained bedsheets,deliver and lay down for him,
Every second I cursed my birth,my biology,my father’s empty bank account which made me my husband’s captive at 16,
I hated my fair skin which made him covet me,
I wished I was dark and ugly so that no man would have offered to marry me
I could have stayed at home and gone to school then,
Or at least could have slept with peace for a few more years,
My children grew up and flew away,
And I was still there, cleaning bed sheets and spreading new ones,
I lived just for him to push me around and walk over me,
Now, the thought of it all petrifies me,
My Lord,from where did the potion of endurance flow into me?
Married to a rich household and blessed with 7 children
People say I am lucky to be the Priest’s wife,
But no one ever recognised that the heaviness of my eyes was much more than that of my pregnant belly,
My husband,the revered Priest, was a parasite which nibbled on the Holy Bible,
Yet, Now, when he lies half-dead at the Church hospital,
I somehow cannot pray for his death,
My Lord, save him,
Give him painless days and sound nights,
My incense sticks lay burning at your altar,
Save him Lord,
I cannot ask for his death even after all that I have gone through
For you made me a woman,
A woman who can bow as low as the earth and harbour endless love within!

No comments: